Animal Control Officer
Company: City of Georgetown, TX
Posted on: June 6, 2021
It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what
We're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the
Under general supervision, performs tasks related to rabies
control, impoundment, education and prevention services. Enforces
City Code relating to Animals and resolves animal nuisances while
educating the community on animal issues. Incumbents in this
classification are required to be on-call on a rotating
- Patrols the city to prevent animal related violations; enforce
ordinances; respond to calls via dispatch.
- Responds to priority and non-priority calls for services; takes
- Responds to after-hours calls meeting animal services call out
- Investigates bite incidents, cruelty cases, welfare cases,
potential rabies exposures, and complaints related to animals in
violation of other Municipal Codes; determines if other violations
- Impounds and transports stray and other animals, both domestic
and wildlife, including those who are sick, injured or potentially
- Educates animal owners and general citizens on animal
ordinances and proper care.
- Assist in conducting education programs including making
presentations at schools, educating citizens in neighborhoods and
responding to questions on the telephone.
- Enforces City and State animal regulations, rabies control and
- Issues written warnings or citations to violators of the City
Ordinance and State Laws as necessary, which may include filing
suits, gathering evidence needed in preparing a case for court,
preparing cases, and testifying in Court.
- Collaborates with other departments and agencies as required to
ensure compliance with codes.
- Operates City animal services truck in the performance of
duties, and utilizes specialized equipment in the snare of animals,
i.e., catch poles, animal traps, nets, and other standard animal
- Cleans, disinfects, and maintains animal control truck and
transport cages to ensure disease management protocol and proper
- Performs euthanasia as required.
- Provides humane treatment to animals while in the Animal
Control Officer's custody.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Other important duties:
- May be subject to be on-call during non-working hours, with the
ability to respond to emergency calls within thirty (30)
- May be subject to working evenings, weekends, and
Education, training and Experience Guidelines
High School diploma or equivalent. One year of full-time work
experience working directly with animals in a shelter, veterinarian
or animal control capacity, plus one year of customer service work
experience. OR Any equivalent combination of experience, training
and/or education that provides the required knowledge, skills and
- Laws, guidelines, and ordinances pertaining to animal care and
control as well as the fundamentals of legal procedures for court
and court administration.
- Disease management and safety protocols.
- Animal behavior.
- Euthanasia procedures.
- Medications and sedations used when capturing or handling
- City and department policies, procedures and protocols.
- Quickly recognizing and analyzing unusual behavior in
- Understanding and following oral and written instructions.
- Reading and comprehending manuals, journals, office memos,
warning labels, road signs, instructions.
- Utilizing a tranquilizer gun.
- Communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Being assertive and calm in soliciting information from
distressed members of the public.
- Safely administering medications to animals.
- Using standard office equipment such as copiers, faxes, and
computers and related software applications for data entry and case
- Safely handle animals, including those with unknown health and
- Work with frequent interruptions and changes in
- Establish and maintain effective communication and working
relationships with other City employees and members of the
- Safely and effectively prepare lab specimens.
- Make decisions during emergency and unusual circumstances.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Valid Class C Texas driver's license
- Basic Animal Control Certification or must obtain within six
months or one year of employment.
- Euthanasia Certification or must obtain within six months or
one year of employment.
- Chemical Capture Certification or must obtain within six months
or one year of employment.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background
check, driver's license check, and physical fitness exam by a
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Sitting, walking, fine dexterity, crouching, kneeling, climbing,
vision, hearing, talking, use of foot controls, twisting, and
Medium to heavy work that involves carrying, lifting, pushing,
pulling, reaching, handling, and exerting up to 75 pounds of force
on a regular and recurring basis, including restraint of animals of
varying size, age, and physical condition.
Exposure to extreme temperature when outdoors; constant noise
from barking dogs at the shelter, physical risk from wild or
fractious animals, occasional threats from hostile customers;
exposure to cleaning chemicals; risk of contracting zoonotic
disease (including rabies).
Hiring Range: $17.06 - $20.05.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic
over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!
Keywords: City of Georgetown, TX, Georgetown , Animal Control Officer, Other , Georgetown, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!