Registered Nurse (RN) Charge Recovery, Days Rotating Weekedns
Posted on: May 17, 2019
Under the general supervision of the unit's Director or designee
the Charge Nurse assumes responsibility for direction and
coordination of all functions in the unit on his/her designated
shifts. In collaboration with other members of the management team,
this individual is responsible for the ongoing assessment of the
quality of patient care services provided in unit.
The Charge Nurse:
- Assumes responsibility for direction and coordination of all
functions of the designated unit.
- Functions as a resource person for staff members and assists in
necessary education of individual members of the nursing
- Assumes responsibility for the overall quality of nursing care
provided when s/he is on duty.
- Makes decisions regarding activities within these areas based
on Administrative Operational Standards, Nursing Standards, Human
Resource Standards, and Standards of Care for the unit, in
collaboration with other members of the management team.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Ensures that Departmental mission and objectives are maintained
for the unit with interpretation of these objectives to staff as
necessary. Coordinates Departmental activities with responsibility
for the assessment of the quality and efficiency of these
activities. Assesses complexity of patient care and Department
service needs to coordinate assignment of nursing staff to meet all
required services on his/ her designated shift.
- Ensures implementation of operational standards which promote
the maintenance of patient rights including, but not limited
- Informed consent.
- Clarification of patient expectations.
- Explanation of treatment processes.
- Maintenance of confidentiality of patient information.
- Maintenance of patient privacy by minimizing exposure during
- Adaptation of care to all ages of patients served.
- Ethical considerations.
- Handling of patient complaints.
- Ensures all LVN staff's patients records reflect an admission
assessments & care plan performed by Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates sound knowledge base in nursing practice and its
clinical application to the patient population served in the unit,
including the operation of equipment, and policy and procedures
used in the delivery of patient care during his/ her designated
- Maintains communication with other members of the management
team regarding potential/actual problems concerns, and with Medical
Staff issues. Assists with establishing and maintaining
communication channels with Medical Staff and departments in the
- Supervises personnel providing direct patient care, with
delegation of activities based on patient care needs and
competencies of available patient care staff.
- Provides direct and ongoing supervision of staff with regard to
conflict resolution and personnel policy compliance, including
input for performance evaluations.
- Teaches, supervises and serves as a resource for staff, assists
with clinical procedures as needed and facilitates
student/preceptor assignments as appropriate .
- Facilitates ongoing performance improvement activities, which
correlate to the Hospital-wide Performance Improvement Program with
involvement of all levels of staff as appropriate.
- Makes assignments for the present or following shift to provide
for smooth transition and ensures appropriate assignments
throughout shift to cover changing patient needs and staff
- Self-assigns patients and functions as necessary based on
patient needs and available resources on unit.
- Communicates directly with the supervisor and/ or director on
unit and staff performance issues needing attention.
- Maintains effective utilization and maintenance of manpower,
equipment, and supplies.
- Participates in cost containment programs as applicable to
- Actively participates in appropriate Department and Hospital
- Maintains own professional growth through appropriate
organizations, workshops, seminars, leadership development and
other educational endeavors.
- Maintains awareness of current developments and trends in
- Rounds on staff and patients as appropriate.
- Ensures repair and maintenance problems are reported promptly.
Ensures all quality checks are conducted within given period, to
include but not limited to refrigerator/freezer temperatures, crash
cart, blanket warmer checks and other unit specific quality checks
are completed as assigned.
- Follows up and ensures completion of patient treatment, tests
and procedures. Ensures all medication and narcotic discrepancies
are resolved prior to leaving the shift
- Monitors and maintains high standards regarding patient care
and oversees compliance with core measures on applicable
- Organizes, coordinates and facilitates the delivery of patient
care activities, assists with bed assignments, discharge planning,
census, and support completion of physician's orders and completes
- Fills in for OR circulator or preop/postop nurse in outpatient
- Communicates appropriately with other members of the health
care team to promote continuity of care. Collaborates with
preceptors and new employees, and facilitates new employees in
becoming part of the team.
- Actively participates in department committees and group
meetings with a focus on providing input to improve the quality of
- Consistently demonstrates behavior, which reflects that working
as a team, is more important than self-interest.
- Demonstrates interpersonal competencies such as critical
thinking, problem solving, negotiation, and conflict management
work to improve teamwork.
- Plans age specific nursing interventions for assigned
- Completes age appropriate assessment of patient on arrival to
the surgical suite.
- Initiates the plan of care by proper preparation of the patient
- Provides patient teaching and emotional support for surgical
- Provides and evaluates age appropriate direct patient
- Assists with the care of the patient during anesthesia
induction and/or prepares patient for local anesthesia.
- Demonstrates the ability to prevent patient injury.
- Performs correct surgical preps.
- Demonstrates mastery of representative cases and equipment used
for specialty area and has competent experience and knowledge base
for all procedures.
- Accurately documents & reports patient care.
- Consistently demonstrates efficiency and speed during case
- Participates in unit activities.
- Functions in the role of a perioperative preceptor for the
- Demonstrate competency for all surgical specialties and
- Maintains current professional growth through independent study
and continuing education programs
- Participates in budget and inventory control.
- Keeps supervisor and/or buyer informed of needed
- Participates in staff and self-development.
- Takes appropriate action to prevent/manage accidents in the
- Complies with Universal Protocol and National Patient Safety
Goals as applicable.
- Participates in activities to keep the unit functioning
- Participates in performance/process improvement.
- Assists with orientation of new employees.
- Completes annual department competencies.
- Attends 80% of Staff Meetings.
- Completes all mandatory education.
- Performs other duties as delegated.
- Employee's conduct must reflect the company's values and a
commitment to the Code of Conduct, ethics and compliance
- Adheres and upholds all service behaviors as listed in the I
CARE value commitment and other departmental initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Keywords: HCA., Georgetown , Registered Nurse (RN) Charge Recovery, Days Rotating Weekedns, Healthcare , Georgetown, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!